To Install SLiMS 9 (Bulian) on Windows, you need to setup your windows machine as a server. Please follow the steps below:
- To install and use SLiMS, you can use XAMPP or similar platform. XAMPP is one of the most popular platform and SLiMS works fine with it. You can check here to know the detailed process of installing XAMPP. It is advisable to install xampp avoiding your C drive. You may install on D or E drive. Download and install xampp latest version.
- Then you have to download source code of SLiMS 9 Bulian.
Download SLiMS 9 Bulian
- Now, go to your xampp installation folder and navigate to htdocs folder. Copy the downloaded source code of SLiMS 9 Bulian and paste under htdocs folder. Then unzip the source code and rename to slims9.
- Start your server (Apache and MySQL) from xampp control panel (can be found under start menu).
- Go to browser and type: http://127.0.0.1/phpmyadmin or http://localhost/phpmyadmin/
- Create database. Let it name slims9
- Now type http://127.0.0.1/slims9 at your browsers address bar and press enter. Here slims9 is your documents root folder name which is under htdocs folder.
- SLiMS 9 web installation interface will appear. Click to Get Started button.
- Now the installer checks all the requirements. Everything should be ok. Ignore yaz error, it will not hamper our installation and other functions. Click Next.
- Since we are going to install SLiMS freshly, we need to click on Install SLiMS.
- In this interface, provide required information like Database Host, Database Name, Database Username and Database Password. In our case, host=localhost, database name=slims9 (we did it at step 6), username=root and password blank. If your settings are different, you need to adjust accordingly.
- After providing all the correct information, click on Test Connection. If connected successfully, you can see Connection Ok, Next. Click on it.
- Now we are in Step 2. Here, if we want to generate sample/dummy data, we need to change ‘No, don’t do that‘ to ‘Yes, please.’
- Provide username and password, then click on ‘Run the installation‘. For test purpose, our username=admin and password=admin
- New SLiMS successful installed. Congratulation, now you have SLiMS in your machine.
- Click on ‘Go to my SLiMS’ and you can see the interface of SLiMS 9 Bulian.
- To visit admin page, you need to be little bit tricky. When you are on your homepage your url looks like http://localhost/slims9/index.php or http://127.0.0.1/slims9/index.php. You have to add ‘?p=login’ without quotation mark after /index.php and it will look like http://localhost/slims9/index.php?p=login
- In this installation case, we used username and password as admin in step14.
Now we are ready to automate and digitize our library using SLiMS 9 Bulian.
For production server, please use Linux (Ubuntu/Debian) platform. If you have to use windows, please ensure that your windows is authentic/licensed and powerful Antivirus software is installed. Avoid using USB drive on windows machine. And most importantly, Backup Regularly.
For any support, please email us. SLiMS Bangladesh always beside you to help using SLiMS in your library.
12 thoughts on “How to Install SLiMS 9 on Windows”
Hello, congrats was install slims 9 successfully, i suggest you for read the setting up must after install slims 9here, thanks
This post is an excellent and so easy to understand, install and execute.
I have followed your steps and installed on Windows and functioning very well.
But when I have created member Library staff member under System Configuration under User Group and created Circulation. The SLiMS is not storing the password for the Circulation.
Please guide me to overcome this problem
As I have been facing problem on saving the password after assigning the permission to the Library Staff.
Dear Dr. Imtiaz,
Thank you for your comments. SLiMS must store User ID and Password if your PHP and MySQL version are correct. Please use compatible version of PHP and MySQL.
Thank you again.
PHP GD required for image processing!
Next button not appeared.
in the step number 9.
N.B. Windows Installation
Which platform are you using? If you are using xampp, GD Library should be there. If not active, please activate it from php.ini file. Remember, PHP GD Library must be installed and enabled to install SLiMS.
I am using Xampp and I have installed slims. But barcode printing, Member card printing is not work yet. label printing is working properly.
Please post it with php info screenshot at SLiMS Bangladesh Facebook Group. So that we can help you.
Thank you for choosing SLiMS.
I cannot print barcode from my software. every time there appeared error creating barcode
Either GD Library is not installed properly or /images folder is not writeable. If everything is alright, it should print barcode.
Thanks a lot.
Thanks for the easy to follow steps. From the sample list of items in the OPAC, when I search by author or subject on my localhost, it shows no results. But on the online demo from the SLiMS website, author search and subject search works good. Any idea why this is happening?
Please try to create index again from system.