If any library professional has limited knowledge on setting up a server but want to try SLiMS, there is an option for them. Portable SLiMS or PSLiMS is the perfect choice for them. It can be run on any windows machine (32 or 64 bit). Today I am going to show you the detailed process for setting up and using Portable SLiMS or PSLiMS. Lets start:
- First visit SLiMS official website https://slims.web.id/
- Scroll down and you will see the different download options as below:
- Download Portable SLiMS according to your windows version. It can be 32-bit or 64-bit.
- After completing download, copy the downloaded zip file to any drives root like D or E or any other drive. I prefer avoiding C drive. In my case it’s G drive.
- Now right click on the zip file and select Extract Here.
- It will unzip the folder at the drive’s root. You can see a folder called amd64 or check the newly created folder.
- Open the folder and you will find httpd.bat & mariadb.bat files. Double click on both of the files one by one. When opening httpd.bat, you will find the url at the end of the last line of command prompt screen like http://localhost:8089. Remember or copy the url.
- You will be asked to give permission to both apache and mysql. Just allow access.
- Now go to browser and type the url as mentioned on step 7 and press Enter from keyboard, commonly it is http://localhost:8089. You will be redirected to http://localhost:8089/bulian/.
- You are now able to see the homepage of SLiMS.
- To access the admin panel, visit http://localhost:8089/bulian/index.php?p=login
- Default credentials are: username=admin and password=admin
To install SLiMS on Windows with XAMPP, visit my earlier blog at: https://www.slimsbd.com/slims/how-to-install-slims-9-on-windows/
Enjoy the power of SLiMS.